Friday, October 16, 2009

Large Old Barrels For Sale

SantandrĂ  Povegliano. Speech by Dr. Paola Mariani

Below I propose a brief speech of Dr. Paola Mariani (Councillor for Social Policies and education to the City of Povegliano), at a meeting held in sull'infibulazione SantandrĂ  on 9 October.

Good evening to all. Tonight I'm here in place of our Mayor, who is out of the office and asked me to bring his greetings, but in any event, even if it was this, I think I would have asked could accompany him, as the issue that deal is exquisitely feminine. I started to hear of female circumcision long ago, through media reports and television, but I confess that it never had the courage to investigate because it is a subject that has always impressed me very much. I remember in particular a television service in which you could see a African child raised by a grown woman that was about to bring to practice female circumcision, and this girl, who knew or less what I expected it, wore a desolate, almost like an animal ready for slaughter. I do not think that in our reality, female circumcision is a widespread practice, but tonight we will know more certainly, on my part, I asked any of the information to our city councilor in charge of health, Tania Martignago, who works at the bargain ' City Hospital in obstetrics and gynecology department, who told me not to have seen many women infibulated in his work and that in any case the operation is almost always practiced in the country of origin, that is, women included in migration flows arriving here at the facts which have already occurred, unfortunately. But the figures speak of widespread illegal practices in Italy, despite a law that formally prohibits the activism of many organizations fighting this practice. "So it's a very sensitive issue, which I believe can be understood but not defended with the argument of cultural traditions. The system that regulates the female circumcision in Africa, or female genital mutilation, is complex and perfectly placed in certain contexts, but this practice is still unacceptable to the serious physical and psychological pain it causes in women who suffer it. This is true both in Africa and elsewhere. Thanks.

Paola Mariani, Assessor social and education to the City of Povegliano

0 comments:

Post a Comment